If you own a lowered sports car, you’re probably used to the scraping sound as you pull into your driveway. But what if there was a way to make that transition a bit easier?
I found a solution that works well: installing curb ramps at the edge of my driveway.
If you have a car that is low to the ground, or a driveway with an uneven curb that keeps scratching your car, you need to buy curb ramps. Here are the best curb ramps that suit most driveways and garages.
Best Curb Ramps For Driveways & Garages
High, uneven curbs leading to your driveway or garage can cause damage to your car, bike, SUV, truck, or trailer (especially when transporting something heavy).
Here are the best ramps to help level the curb, so your car doesn’t scrape the ground.
Best Overall Curb Ramp: Bridjit 3-Piece Expandable
Built in the USA, Bridjit have their headquarters in St. George, Utah. They come in 3 individual sections that work well to level the curb of your driveway or garage curb.
The Bridjit curb ramp is expandable and has 47-inch center sections that make it easy to customize to the width of your curb. So if you have a broad curb or gap to cover, you can buy expandable center sections to customize the ramps.
However, these center sections are sold separately. This reduces the jarring effect of driving over curbs by up to 80%.
What I Like
This curb ramp helps protect your car’s wheel alignment when you drive over the curb. The broader center sections allow you to use this curb ramp on wide curbs, helping cars with lower clearance levels avoid scrapes and bumper damage. It is suitable for SUVs, RVs, 2-door to 4-door vehicles, trucks, trailers, and boats.
The Bridjit curb ramp is easy to assemble and install. That said, it weighs around 150 lbs, so you may need help carrying it once assembled. You don’t need to attach them directly to the curb since the three sections connect to each other, making them easy to remove.
Bridjit is an eco-friendly company that makes its products from recycled tires. They help keep 270 million tires from ending up in landfills across America each year. They strictly control the manufacturing process to ensure their product stays eco-friendly.
- Each section weighs about 50 lbs, making the combined weight of all three sections around 153 lbs.
- Each section is around 47-inches long and 16-inches wide.
- The bolts to connect the three pieces are galvanized to prevent rust. They are pre-inserted in the center section for easy assembly.
- You can buy additional center sections if you have a wider curb.
- Each section has a tapered edge to ensure a smooth transition between the car and the ramp.
- Three-piece set provides 12 feet of coverage and fits both straight and curved driveway entries
- Expandable to the size you need by purchasing additional 48 center sections
- Easily installed with only a hammer and screwdriver
- Channel on the underside of each section allows water to flow under the ramp
Best Value Curb Ramp: Pyle PCRBDR21
We chose the Pyle PCRBDR21 Curb Ramp as our best-value curb ramp because they’re similar to the Bridjit curb ramp in our top spot but for a considerably lower price.
This curb ramp is made from high-grade industrial rubber. They offer a textured surface for better grip, making them suitable for most vehicles.
The ramps come in pairs and include integrated holes for easy assembly. They are perfect for home or office, and you can use them indoors or outdoors. The ramps are also wheelchair friendly.
What I Like
Because it is made from high-grade industrial rubber, the curbs are durable and long-lasting. The dense rubber material acts like a pillow, cushioning your car from jarring vibrations. The rubber also reduces the noise when you transition from the ramp to the road.
These Pyle curb ramps have a hefty load capacity that can support around 11 000 lbs on a flat surface. It’s an assurance that you can safely drive any car, SUV, truck, trailer, boat, or RV up or down any curb or uneven ground.
These curb ramps are textured to give you a better grip and help prevent the vehicle from slipping when it drives over the ramps in icy or rainy weather.
- They are very durable and have a marine-grade waterproof-rated construction.
- Each section is 48.0-inches long, 16.0-inches wide, and 2.6 -inches high.
- They offer the option of precutting the integrated holes for permanent installation.
- These ramps can be used for uneven curbs, driveways, gutters, sidewalks, and garages.
- 11,000 lbs. MAX Load Capacity
- Made from engineered synthetic rubber
- Integrated Cut-Out Holes for Permanent Mounting, Optional
- Textured-Style Surface for Increased Friction / Traction
Best Ramp For High Curbs: Street Solutions KRAMP-PR-X1
Our pick for when you have high curbs is the Street Solutions KRAMP-PR-X1. These affordable curb ramps work great if you have high curbs (up to 3.9 in/10 cm) to get a softer transition between the curb and the road.
You can use these high curb ramps to overcome high curbs by standard cars, SUVs, trucks, mobility scooters and wheelchairs, bikes, vans, and RVs or motorhomes. They have interlocking male and female connectors on the side of each ramp, so you can make the ramp as long as you need it to be.
Street Solutions is a U.K based company, but their curb ramps are sold on many online platforms, making them available in the U.S.
What I Like
The Street Solutions KRAMP-PR-X1 curb ramps are durable and long-lasting. They are made from a blend of PVC and industrial rubber to help you navigate higher curbs. You can use them as a removable/temporary solution. If you need a more permanent fixture, you can use the two bolt holes to fasten them to the curb.
The manufacturers designed the bolt holes to take concrete bolts or tarmac bolts. However, the manufacturer advises that you use the maximum bolt diameter to fasten them to the curb for the best results.
These heavy-duty curb ramps can handle weight loads of around 10 tons (20 000 lbs). You get superior traction as these high curb ramps are made with a chevron-style pattern. It ensures your vehicle, bike, mobility scooter, wheelchair, or truck won’t slip in rainy weather.
These curb ramps have multiple applications, like leveling out uneven curbs and helping you maneuver between steps and doorways. You can use it to help when offloading a truck to cover the gap between the truck bed and the ground. People use it around the home to get better access to certain areas for their trash cans and wheelbarrows.
- Each ramp weighs around 7.5 Kg (16.5 lbs).
- 19.6-inches wide, 12.5-inches long, and 40-inches high.
- They can handle heavy loads of up to 20 000 lbs. or 10 tons.
- They are eco-friendly because they are made from recyclable materials like PVC and industrial rubber.
- They are easy to use as they are light enough for one person to install or carry around as needed.
- Manufactured from a blend of recycled PVC and rubber
- Chevron style pattern on the ramp face for superior traction
Best Portable Curb Ramp: Pyle PCRBDR27
Our pick for the best portable car/truck curb ramp is the Pyle PCRBDR27. These are heavy-duty curb ramps made from high-quality industrial-grade PP (polypropylene). They come with handles and are light enough to carry in your truck or car where ever you go.
They are the most affordable curb ramps we have discussed so far. Although they’re designed to help cars with a lower ground clearance, they also work great to bridge the gap or get a smooth transition between road and curb for mobility scooters, wheelchairs, trucks, and cars.
What I Like
It might seem obvious, but the size and weight of these curb ramps make them the best curb ramp to keep with you where you go. It means you never need to worry about your car getting damaged because of an unexpected curb again.
These durable, portable curb ramps have a decent load-bearing capacity of 6600 lbs or 3.3 tons, making them ideal for everyday use. They also have a textured surface to give you added traction for rainy days.
- Each ramp weighs 6.6 lbs.
- 20-inches long, 10.6-inches wide, and 4.1-inches high.
- They have pre-formed holes for permanent installation. Hardware is not included, but you can use concrete or tarmac bolts.
- 6600 lb. Capacity
- 20"wide x 10.6"deep x 4.1 inch high
What To Consider Before Buying Curb Ramps
Before you buy curb ramps, there are a few factors that might influence your decision:
Ease of Use: If you use the curb ramps regularly but don’t want to bolt them down, they must be easy to use. No one wants the hassle of adjusting the product to make it work properly every time they use it. That’s why you should look at how easy the curb ramp is to use.
Durability: If you only need to use a curb ramp occasionally, quality is less of a concern than price. However, if you use the curb ramps regularly or install them permanently in the garage or driveway, look for a high-quality, durable curb ramp instead.
Quality: People usually want to buy the best quality product. Still, there is a considerable difference between what they want and what many can afford. So you need to look for a curb ramp that will still do what you need but can still afford.
You do need to look at the quality for the price as well. With so many different makes on the market, it can be easy to buy cheaper curb ramps. The problem with buying solely on price is that the quality usually suffers. That is why you need to look for the best quality product that you can return if you need to that still fits your budget.
Most stores offer a money-back guarantee, so if something goes wrong or you are unhappy with the product, you can return it.